Denman Avenue Baptist Church had its earliest beginning in the heart of Rev. C.L. Garrett in 1953. Bro Garrett, then Associational Missionary for Unity Baptist Association, let the Association in discovering the area of greatest need for a church in Lufkin. From there Kye and Elizabeth Lee began hosting prayer meetings in their home to seek the Lord on what this new work would look like.
In June of 1954 an open-air revival was held with the invitation given for anyone that would desire to be a part of this new work. What started as 21 individuals answering that call on that night, grew to 54 charter members on December 19, 1954 when Denman Avenue Baptist Church as constituted as a Southern Baptist Church.
From that time The Lord has continued to redeem, equip, and send out individuals. It is the mission of Denman Avenue Baptist Church to continue to recognize areas of need in our community, our country, and around the world.
The facilities and the faces have change over the years but the Gospel has remained the same.