Purpose for Position
The Associate Pastor: Discipleship/Missions will be responsible for the overall vision, leadership, strategy, promotion, and execution of the discipleship and mission’s ministry.
In terms of discipleship, this person will largely focus on developing leaders and create a plan of discipleship throughout all of the ministries of the church that is tailored to various levels of spiritual maturity and encourages and enables everyone to replicate new believers in Christ.
In the area of missions, this individual will help translate the ministry’s vision into practical strategies and activities, and expand it through new/existing local, regional, and global partnerships.
This position will primarily ensure that the faith family is connecting with one another and building community through a strong, healthy, and growing Sunday school/small group ministry while being committed to making disciples locally and globally.
The primary measure by which the Associate Pastor: Discipleship/Missions will be evaluated is the development of reproducing disciples who are actively involved in meaningful and practical ways in serving others in Christ's name.
- Demonstrates a mature, consistently-growing walk with Jesus Christ with a strong knowledge of scripture
- Has responded to the call of God into Christian ministry and is ordained
- Holds a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, from an accredited college or university
- Possesses a high degree of effectiveness in: leadership, communication, interpersonal relationships, public speaking, organization of discipleship groups (Sunday school, small groups, etc.,) as well as, training and equipping people to become committed followers of Jesus
- Connects across all generations, ethnicities, and socio-economic lines
- Demonstrates a proven track record of working in a setting committed to reaching the unchurched and building reproducing disciples, working within a community, and collaborating with multiple ministry opportunities at one time
- Shows knowledge of and remains up to date on current discipleship trends and mission opportunities
- Has knowledge of social media, computer skills, and use of other education technologies
- Plan, conduct and evaluate a comprehensive and multi-generational program of Sunday school/small group education and discipleship.
- Evaluate, select and procure literature, materials and resources for Sunday school/small group ministries, as well as, serve as educational resource person and advisor to the leaders of all church programs.
- Guide in the selection, enlistment and training of teachers for all discipleship programs.
- Provide leadership and training for the accomplishment of an effective evangelistic strategy that relates to all discipleship ministries in the church.
- Recommend an annual budget for educational and discipleship materials for the finance committee.
- Lead the church in planning, conducting and evaluating a comprehensive program for outreach in the local community, the nation and the world.
- Serve as church staff liaison to the missions committee and, with the chairperson, provide leadership and guidance for that committee.
- Serve as church staff liaison to all local, national, and international ministry partners
- Promote active communication between missionaries and the church.
- Oversee the process and implementation for mission projects and mission trips.
- Develop and oversee the church’s missionary sending process.
- Provide guidance and assistance to the missions committee in preparing the missions offerings and the missions budget.
- Fill the pulpit, conduct funerals, and assist deacons and staff with hospital visitation, when needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.